Monday, November 2, 2009

Love

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life'' - John 3:16 (NIV)

God loved the people of this world so much that He sent His son to take our place.

''We love because he first loved us.'' - 1 John 4:19 (NIV)

Because God loved us first we love Him now.

What is love? Is it just caring for someone or is there something else to it?

One of the greek words for love is Agape, which means the love from a father to a son.
Another is phileo, which means to have an affection (sentiment, passion or feeling) for.


After Christs resurrection Jesus visited Peter who had denied him three times prior to the crucifixion. Peter, ashamed of his unfaithfulness, couldn't bring himself to acknowledge agape love towards Jesus. The exchange went as the following:

Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love (agape) me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love (phileo)you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love (agape) me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love (phileo) you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love (phileo) me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love (phileo) me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love (phileo)you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."

Peter could only admit to preferring Jesus as a friend, for he felt that he failed to demonstrate agape love towards him.
But Christ told him to show his love through obediance.
One way our Agape love is revealed to the Lord is by our obedience. Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me." - John 14:21

So today as you go through your everyday life, remember that God loves you and you can show Him you agape love through obeying Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment